Do You Need an Attorney Who Specializes in Representing Childbirth Injury Claims?
Many medical malpractice attorneys also specialize in birth injury law. These cases typically involve profound injuries or deaths that occur during the childbirth process. Negligence under birth injury law typically means a healthcare professional failed to adequately respond to a medical issue during childbirth. In most cases, that involves one or more of the following situations:
- Insufficient treatment of mother or baby’s bleeding issues during childbirth.
- Fetal distress due to lack of oxygen (also known as anoxia) that damages your baby’s brain. This can result in serious injuries that require lifelong medical care or even death.
- Umbilical cord complications, which may include bleeding or oxygen deprivation issues for the baby.
- Infections that occur in either the mother or baby during childbirth.
- Injuries to mother or baby resulting from improper forceps use or a vacuum extractor.
- Emergency cesarean section surgery, or unanticipated medical complications that occur during the procedure.
However, in some cases, birth injury law claims may involve injuries that result from negligent prenatal care by your provider. For example, if your OB/GYN fails to diagnose or identify any of the following medical issues during prenatal check-ups:
- Serious maternal medical conditions, including diseases that can infect the child while in utero. Some examples include gestational diabetes, hypertension, preeclampsia, and cytomegalovirus (CMV).
- Birth defects
- Ectopic pregnancy
- Placenta previa