How Can Lawyers Help with Nursing Home Neglect Cases?
There are many state and federal laws designed to protect individuals who live in long-term care facilities. When facilities or staff members violate these laws, however, only the resident’s friends and family have the power to intervene. Most residents can no longer do things like drive, look up attorneys online or other, similar options to find help. Indeed, many say they’re scared to report their caretakers for abuse or neglect for fear of retaliation. In some cases, other residents or their own family members are the source of neglect or abuse.
When in doubt, always consult a local lawyer with experience representing elder abuse and neglect claims. That attorney can:
- Tell you whether your loved one may have an eligible claim
- Help protect other residents from suffering similar acts of abuse or neglect
- Report the responsible facility, staff, or others to the appropriate local or state agency
- Explain how long it usually takes to resolve nursing home neglect cases like yours
- Estimate how much money you or your loved one may receive in financial compensation